Monday, January 24, 2011

Soup Swap Recipe: Catherine's lemony-not-like-chilli Black Bean Soup

This week I will be sharing all our delicious vegetarian soup recipes from our soup swap.


Enjoy!




Catherine's lemony-not-like-chilli Black Bean Soup (from Laurel's Kitchen)


1 1/2 cups black turtle beans
1 1/2 quarts/litres vegetable stock
2 T oil
1 carrot
1 onion
1 potato
2 stalks celery
1 bay leaf
1 t oregano
1/4 t savoury
2 t salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 lemon, thinly sliced

Wash the turtle beans and put them in a saucepan along with the stock and 1 T oil. 



Cover tightly, bring to a boil, and simmer for 2 1/2 hours or so, until beans are quite tender.

Chop the onion and saute in the remaining oil until soft. 



Chop the celery, including the leaves. 


Grate potato and carrot on a large grater. 


Add celery, potato, and carrot to onion and cook over medium heat for several minutes, stirring all the while. 


Add the vegetables to the beans, along with the seasonings, in the last hour of their cooking. 


Bring the soup to a boil and lower the heat to simmer until the beans and vegetables are done.

Add the lemon juice

Add lemon slices when the soup has finished cooking.

Makes about 9 cups.

3 comments:

  1. This looks so good! Sometimes my boyfriend and I have what we call "A Week of Soup" where we make different soups all week long. I think we'll try this one tonight! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the week of soup idea! That is what were doing right now by default :) I froze some of our haul but were eating it as fast as we can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for linking up! I must confess - I can't cook beans - they never turn out the right consistency. But, I've never seen oil added either - do you think that's what I've been missing?

    ReplyDelete