Thursday, June 23, 2011

Recipe: Asparagus & Arugula


Pesto is one of our summer standbys, and anyone who had been to the cottage with us will know that we always like to keep some authentic italian pesto on hand for a quick and easy lunch. Ha!

I normally grow enough basil to make our basil pesto once a week, but what to do in the spring when things are starting to grow but the basil isn't quite in pesto quantities yet?

My good friend Shana inspired me to use my evesthrough arugula for something besides salads. 



Inspired by her arugula pesto recipe posted over on folks gotta eat along with what is in season in my garden and at the farmers market, I combined our favourite pesto recipe with Shana's and made this amazingly peppery pesto that stays perfectly green even after a few days in the fridge. 


Here I am with the clingy toddler picking garlic and arugula for dinner.




4 cups of washed arugula
4 young garlic shoots and scapes
4 cloves of garlic
1 cup of pine nuts
½ cup parmesan cheese 
½ cup of olive oil
1/8 teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon of salt



Whizz it all up in the food processor or blender.  I do nuts and cheese first followed by greens and oil and then the salt and pepper. We also threw in some chives because we have them in the garden and they're perfect right now. 


Like arugula, this is pesto is perfect on a tomato sandwich. We served this batch up on some ravioli with the last of this year's fiddleheads and some fabulous Organic Asparagus from Nightingale Farms.  Nightingale is quite the operation, with 1500 acres in Norfolk County which is where Ryan is from. 



Deliciously Green!

Check out this great video from OMFRA and Foodland Ontario on how Asparagus is harvested.  Its sort of mind blowing.

4 comments:

  1. That looks so good!!!
    I love pasta tossed with fresh pesto...the easiest, quickest and most delicious of meals!

    Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your asparagus photo makes me almost want to eat some! Nice shot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had NO idea asparagus grew so quickly! Every year I wish to plant it and every year I don't. :( I absolutely WILL plant it next year. I never plant it because it takes a couppla seasons to get going. Bah. Love the scape pesto! ~ karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks amazing. I think I will have to try this. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete